Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Major Trauma- warning there is blood...



You know that horrible blood curdling scream that you know something is wrong with your child? I heard it on Wednesday afternoon while I was upstairs and couldn't get to her fast enough. She was playing on the bottom stair, and tumbled off onto the wood floor. Unfortunately her teeth caught her fall.

Joel was down there with her and had already scooped her up when I got to her. There was SO MUCH BLOOD. His shirt was covered and her whole face was covered and there was some on the ground. My first thought was- oh no, her teeth. When she gets hurt I go into this uber-calm state and time seems to slow down. I wiped some blood off and lifted up her lip and her teeth, her poor teeth.

We rushed her over to her Pediatric dentist where she got x-rays. Both of the roots were cracked straight through- horizontally. The dentist said there is a very small chance that her teeth will make it. The biggest worry is an abcess- if that happens we will have to go in and have them surgically removed. Also, with how big the cracks are- the pulp inside her teeth is probably dead. If that happens her tooth will have problems. If her teeth do make it, they will be grey or brown and that beautiful pearly white smile will be no more.

Joel and I are both heartbroken over this. I feel so shallow for that, but I love her smile and am really sad to loose it for several years. I realize that this happens to a lot of people, it's actually super common. I just wish I could spare her from things like this. She has been such a trooper I can't believe what an amazing girl she is. When I told her that everyone was worried about her and praying for her she said: Tell them not to worry mom. Tell them I'm okay. I'm going to be all better. Tell them not to worry.

How sweet is that?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: