Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Post Surgery




Poor thing. The surgery ended up taking 2 LONG hours.  Joel found a hernia on her right side a few months ago, but the surgeon wanted to look in the left side to see if there was one there also.  We consented, and are grateful that we did because there was definitely one there and it would have been awful to have to go through this again when the left one got big enough to be visible.
Since Joel was in the OR, he kept texting me status updates. When I was paged to go to the information desk, all they told me was the start time, but Joel texted me: "She's doing great.  Everything is fine"  Then he texted me, "Just about finished.  She actually had one on the other side.  Only a few more minutes then she will go to recovery"  I felt like we were secret spies, I'd text him to see if she was okay, and he would text me back reassurances.  By the time she went back to the recovery room, Joel could tell that the nurses (not knowing he was the father) didn't want him back there so he would just walk past to check on her and come out and sit with me.
I was so anxious to be able to go back and see my baby. When we were finally paged it took all I had not to push past everyone and run to her bed. As soon as I saw her though, it wasn't enough, I need to hold her. So I cuddled up on her bed with her and leaned her up on my side and her head rested on my chest. A little tear ran down her face as she asked me, "Where did you go mommy? Why weren't you here?" Her poor voice was so raspy from being intubated. I tried so hard not to cry as I comforted her. She was super thirsty and drank 3 containers of juice. After her thirst was satisfied she started crying and asking to go home. She hated the IV, it wasn't placed until she was put out, so she was really weirded out by it. The nurses were really nice and helpful and all thought she was the cutest patient. While Joel was checking on her in recovery the nurses were all around her bed saying how cute she was.  They just thought he was a physician, they didn't know that he was her dad, he said it was just adorable and made us both feel better to know that they were taking such good care of her.  Joel and I were laughing so hard because two nurses were playing with her two bunnies that she brought with her.  One bunny makes the cutest sound and they kept squeezing it and giggling.

Lydia had a lot of pain last night, but seems to be better as I keep her up on her pain meds.  She thinks it's great fun to be watching all of her favorite movies today.  Since she rarely watches TV, and it is even more rare to watch a movie other than when we have slumber party time, she feels like she is getting top treatment.  Of course she is!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

sittin' on pins and needles said...

So great to get all the details. I'm glad she is doing so well and that this is over for all of you. Can't wait to see you!